There’s nothing better than warming by the fire after a long, cold day. Check out do’s and don’ts for maintaining your fireplace and stove.
- DO ensure that there is a working carbon monoxide monitor in place
- DO follow the manufacturer’s user instructions for your appliance
- DO burn the correct fuels for the appliance
- DO get the flue swept at least twice a year by a competent chimney sweep
- DO instruct the sweep to use the correct brushes for the type of flue installed
- DO burn hard woods rather than soft woods
- DO NOT allow the appliance to “slumber” as this produces very corrosive condensate that cause flue damage and can lead to chimney fires
- DO NOT burn “wet” or unseasoned wood, painted or treated timber, household refuse or petrochemical by-products
- DO NOT overfill your stove or appliance
- DO NOT use accelerants like lighter fuel, sugar and the like
* yes we know it’s an electric fire but who does not like pugs?